Mosaic piecing meets straight line quilting! Or, maybe better known as a "match made in Hades"
I like the end result of this piece, but there was more than once that I wondered why I chose this technique. I wanted to try and work larger than I usually do....that was challenge #1. I didn't want it totally box-like, so chose the odd placement of mosaics. I wanted to do straight line quilting and ended up having to mark much of it with painters tape to get the look I wanted.
This was my first foray with the new Steam a Seam Lite 2. In order to do this I needed for it to be repositionable. I thought it was finally the product I liked so much before (they claim it is) until I went to sew it. It is horribly sticky, I'm not even sure what I will do with what I have left now.
The coneflower is heavily beaded....by hand....and the fusible was just horrible to go through. But.....I persevered and I do like the effect.
Some of the pattern shows through the lighter fabrics...but I kind of like the shadowy look it gives.
The coneflower petals were stitched so as to give texture as seen in real flowers.
Finally, I finished off the odd placement of mosaic tiles with some more beading,