Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Chocolate Challenge is revealed!

Great art picks up where nature ends.........................Marc Chagall Quotes
Today our chocolate challenge quilts for our guild challenge were due and turned in.   What an awesome display of talent!   I can't wait to view the show in the Richmond Library in Batavia, NY during the month of February.   Everyone will be impressed (and hurrying out to our local chocolate shop, Oliver's Candies, to buy some chocolate.)

This is one of my entires - called "Melted Chocolate".  
 I did this entirely in silks.   I've always wanted to use
 silks because of their sheen and this doesn't disappoint.
 I like curved piecing (many don't), and it just conveyed
 the whole idea of stirring melted chocolate to me.

On the right is a closeup of the piecing and the quilting.




My other entry - called "Chocolate Covered Raspberries"   It is a mixed media piece
 using fabric, paper & yarns.   The idea just came to me when I accidentally tossed
 the pink circles onto a piece of brown fabric.  The paper around the edges is to
signify the fancy papers often found in a box of chocolates.








On the left is a close up of the swirl quilting in the brown fabric to signify the swirls on the top of a piece of chocolate.  

On the right is a close up of the circle quilting done in the border.

Circles have always intrigued me.

1 comment:

  1. These are wonderful pieces Elaine! Love the use of materials. Cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete