Monday, February 4, 2013

Then....the crocus!!! Another one done!

In my previous post, I posted a picture of this quilt in progress....it is now finished.   My entry, "Then...the crocus!", for the Rochester Area Fibre Artists show at the lowermill.com gallery in Honeoye Falls, NY.   These will be on display for the month of March!

"First a howling blizzard woke us;
then the rains came to soak us;
and now before the eye can focus
....crocus!!!"   by Lilje Rogers

               
This poem was the inspiration for this quilt.   I have always wanted to interpret that poem in fabric and when the theme for this show was announced as "Winter's End" - I knew it had to be done.  The feeling for me was the stark white and lack of color we all feel during the winter ....and can't wait for it to be over.   I think we are all surprised by that first little crocus that comes up - even though we know to expect it.  

There are over a dozen different "snow" fabrics, for all different fabric types.   Some of the birch trees are photos printed on fabric, the others are just fabric.  The quilting in the back is a shadow of birch trees, to contract the rolling, waving snow.   There is also a lot of bead work - not visible from a distance - but a surprise to the viewer who looks up close.


Three lone crocus - hint at spring's arrival (fabric and beads).

The poem by Lilje Rogers is printed on an organza overlay - due credit given to the author.

While the quilt is almost exactly what I envisioned from the beginning, and did go together fairly easily once I got started, I had trouble starting it.   All pieces in this exhibit must be for sale.   I don't do this to sell - it is an avocation, not a vocation.   If I create and then someone sees it, wants to buy it, and I want to sell it....all well and good.   But it is never my driving force.   I really had to work to put that mentality aside and just create.   However, the fact is.....I really am NOT ready to sell this yet!

4 comments: