Thursday, June 5, 2014

Henri Matisse inspired portrait challenge

Recently a small group of us from my RAFA ( Rochester Area Fiber Artists) group visited the Matisse drawings exhibit at the Rochester Memorial  Art Gallery.   We were so taken with the simple lines used to denote a face we decided to challenge ourselves to do something in art quilt form.  We were to use 2 colors and it was to be 12 x 12...and due at our next meeting.


I used 2 hand dyed fabrics in blue and purple color ways.  I cut curved line strips in various sizes and shapes and used them to form the face and it's features.  The rest were spread around the face....possibly denoting hair.   My technique was machine appliqué,   I have always loved the half face/full face portraits and this fits right in.    Pretty pleased with how it came outl

No comments:

Post a Comment