Monday, June 30, 2014

Tree Stump interpreted in art!

This quilt is as yet unnamed.   While wintering in Florida this past February and March, one of the places we visited was Rainbow Springs State Park in Dunnellon.   It is a gorgeous park, gorgeous blue water, but like so many of the parks, it has fallen on hard times and upkeep is difficult.   Still, I found it very beautiful and found much inspiration for my art quilts.

This is a picture of a tree stump.   Nothing special, except it really attracted me with the circling vines of leaves and the colorful fungus.   I took about 20 pictures, hoping to get just the gith view and coloring, (most people are used to me taking photos of weird things).


This is my interpretation in fabric.   The total quilt is about 23 x 35. 



I made my bark out of about 5 different fabrics, using the Karen Eckmeier method of cutting curved strips, folding under and pressing a 1/4 inch and then doing top stitching really close to the folded edge.   This allowed for some texture on the "bark".    Rattail forms the vines and the appliquéd leaves are attached only by stitching the veins.  The "fungus" is made using batik and doing some scrunching if the fabric.  There is a small amount of beadwork only for a little visual interest,   I decided to add the green fabric to give the depth of a forest,

No comments:

Post a Comment